Monday, June 9, 2008

SUCCESS!!

My mom and I had a wonderful time during our brief mother-daughter weekend getaway in lovely Glendale, Arizona. Get the details about The Gaslight Inn and downtown Glendale from this previous post (copy and paste into your browser):
http://proudgrits.blogspot.com/2008/05/motherdaughter-getaway.html
It couldn't have been nicer--especially when we only had to walk about ten steps from our room for an amazing evening with delicious fare and fabulous live jazz music!
The shopping was a HUGE success!! I marked quite a bit off my to-buy list and have a better idea of average prices for the rest of it--so now I can find a bargain! I got a white vintage shelf for above the toilet--you'll recognize it from just about every bathroom you ever went into growing up. But I love it, both for the nostalgia and the fact that it is exactly what I had in mind. I have it decorated already--I just need it hung!!
I also got a decorative little bird, a turquoise miniature chair, a 1950s "Florida" tray, a "Laundry" sign and washing board...
BUT THE FIND OF THE DAY was a piece of embroidered artwork, framed, with my "Roots & Wings" quote!! It has a sort of Amish feel to it and was only $30!! It's hanging prominently in my Morning Room, in a spot my hubby suggested. I adore it.
I waited on a few items, figuring I could find them at the local Goodwill--and I did!! For about 90% less, too. I got an aqua-colored Mason jar for $1.50 (half of $3) that I'd seen all over the antique stores for well over $10. The same of a black coffee pot that matches a new piece of coffee artwork. They were $25-$45 elsewhere but the one I found was missing a lid and was $3. The coffee stuff is now a cute vignette above my pantry.
YES, PICTURES ARE COMING SOON!! Just wanted to give you an update.
Naturally, I found some things I wasn't really looking for. There was a really cool metal pear that goes nicely with a beaded pineapple and a metal cross in my entry hall. I found a fabulous polka dot tote bag for $9! Then at "Tuesday Morning," I found this new embroidery book for $5...

...and an Amy Butler scrap booking kit! It retails for $10 at paperaddict.com and I got it for $5.

In the meantime, if you're interested, we did most of our shopping in these three places:1. The Mad Hatter was more of an antique mall but had a lot of unique booths and lots of goodies to explore. That's where I got the little chair and the shelf.

Click on the link below for their web site.
Mad Hatter Link
2. The Apple Tree was more primitive and country but still had come really fun finds. I got my laundry stuff and the Roots & Wings artwork there. Their web site is under construction.

3. The Cottage Garden. I love that shop but all I got this time was a bird. Here's the link to their web site.
Cottage Garden Link
Then we had THE BEST iced coffee I've ever had at A Shot of Java! That's where I got my coffee artwork, too.
A Shot of Java Link
Any fab finds in your neck of the woods??

1 comment:

lily eden said...

wow--sounds like you guys had a blast! I wish my mom lived closer to me :(
great find on the AB paper pack of goodies--love her stuff!!