Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sincerely 'Fro Me to You...clown costumes

****Warning!! Warning!! Clown pictures ahead!! If you are afraid of clowns, DO NOT scroll down!!****

Welcome to my first installment of costumes in celebration of Halloween coming up!

I have a secret.

I hope this does not change your opinion of me negatively. It was a very different phase of life and it was a lot of fun at the time.

Here it is: I was a "Professional Children's Entertainer" for about six years in my youth.

I was a clown about 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time, went between Pocahontas, Minnie Mouse (a generic version, mind you), Raggedy Ann and even Barney.

I know there are people who don't like clowns. Are afraid of them, even. Thanks a lot, Steven King!! But the clowns we knew were wonderful people and, frankly, we were really cute clowns! And very friendly--not at all frightening! Kids loved us!

My mom was a clown, too, and very popular in the area where we lived. She was Patty Wack and I was Knick Knack. We even attended and graduated from clown school! We were in high demand for kids' birthday parties especially and I made more money on Saturdays than my friends made at the mall all week. For a kids' party, my Mom and I typically did a half-hour of face painting and balloons and a half-hour magic show. It was quite a life.

So this is how my look started. Simple, cute and not very exciting. I think my mom made the costume.



This was an alternative look, probably for the cooler months since I've got the long sleeves and turtleneck. This was at a church fall festival back in, oh, 1995??



This was on clown day during Spirit Week in my senior year of high school. Did they do "clown day" just for me?? Who knows. This was my more "casual" version of make-up and dress when it was too dadgum hot for all the clothes and make-up. Maybe a little less frightening??



This was my final look. That's my mom on the left. We were in an Easter parade in St. Augustine, Florida. It was one of the best times I've ever had! We had so much fun in the "staging area" and, hey. There's nothing like streets full of people waving and cheering as you ride by!! My purple hair was pretty unique and my make-up was sparkly and fun. I loved this look!



So there ya go. The secret is out.

Brace yourself...next week's costume is a doozy!!

6 comments:

We are THAT Family said...

Hmmm...that's a little known fact I would have never guessed. You were so cute!

And clowns? They are respectable.

Berry Patch said...

LOL Too cute! I never thought clowns were all that bad. Although, I do remember the year I traumatized my niece by having her sit on Santa's lap at the mall. She's now 17 & still won't go within 10 feet of anyone dressed like Santa. LOL

Valarie said...

Oh that first one is so cute!

Crayl said...

I am seriously NOT a clown lover, but you look cute. I'll let it go.:)

Tammy said...

Funny, my post is about a clown and my hubby this week.

But I think you are not quite as scary. I love your outfits and hairdo!!

Shane said...

Now I'm wishing I'd have been a clown at least one year!