Saturday, March 14, 2009

Homemade sugar body scrub

{I love saving money by pampering myself at home! For my other "At-Home Beauty Ideas," including all the steps to a salon-perfect pedicure, click below}

HERE

Even if you live in a cold climate, you're probably itching (maybe literally) to prettify your feet and paint your toenails a fresh, spring color. If you live in the South like I do, you may already be wearing flip flops, but still have some of that dry, winter skin hanging around.

Here's a super-easy foot scrub you can make at home for mere pennies.

You can use sugar or salt but sugar is more gentle and slightly less abrasive.

1. Just pour 1/4 cup (ish) of sugar into a bowl.

2. Add oil to moisten just enough to be easily spreadable on your skin. I prefer olive oil but you can use almond oil, safflower oil, etc.

3. Add a few drops of essential oil if you have it.

4. Mix well and apply to dry or damp skin.

5. Rinse.

** Can also be used on hands, knees or all over your body!! Especially lovely before you shave your legs! **

My mom and I do this on a night when we're planning to take a relaxing bath: As you let the tub fill with water, stand in the tub and apply the mixture all over your body, from toes to neck, allowing the extra sugar to fall into the tub. After you're done scrubbing, slide into the water, which will now have all the yummy oil and fragrance from the scrub! Fabulous!

Be sure to pat yourself dry so that the oil can stay on your skin to be absorbed. You shouldn't even need lotion!

You can also add whatever strikes your fancy, like rose petals, honey, chopped up papaya, etc.

For other fun variations on this "recipe," check out

Tip Nut

Happy Scrubbing!

4 comments:

DairyQueen said...

sounds lovely! i'll have to let that be my reward if I get my house cleaned tomorrow! I'm going to check out your other pampering ideas!

Susanne said...

A spa at home! I love these ideas!

I've tagged you for a award/meme.

Mo said...

Great home recipe!

I found you thru Susan's (Living to Tell the Tale) site, and I just wanted to say that, besides a beautiful family (congrats on the upcoming new addition) and a lovely home, you have a nice little blog spot here.

Just stopped in to say hello, and I hope you have a great week ahead!

Unknown said...

I wish I used this when I was pregnant as I always felt really itchy. Now that the winter is almost gone, it will be so great to use this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing, love your blog!