Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2008

No, that's not a typo. I just woke up from a lovely mother's Day nap that I almost didn't even take...and just as I did, I felt like the Holy Spirit was nudging me to tell this story today. Good thing I took that nap.

Last Mother's Day was a lovely day by all accounts. Church, lunch, presents, cake and plenty of celebrating. I hugged Andrew extra-hard all day and probably shed a tear or two.

Last Mother's Day, May 11th, I had a miscarriage. Mother's Day will always be marked by that event. Technically, I didn't actually miscarry until two days later on May 13th. It was a very sad few weeks but we knew that God would use it for good and after a few months, we started "trying" again, trusting in God's perfect timing.

Low and behold, we got pregnant on the first try. Our "family number" is 11 and I found out I was pregnant on September 2nd (9-2). I wrote that date on the pregnancy test and thought, "Hm, I wonder if that's significant." Then I realized that 9 + 2 = 11. "Oh, that's funny, Lord," I thought, knowing His fingerprints would be aaaaalllll over this pregnancy. A couple days later, I calculated my due date as May 13, which was the date of the actual miscarriage. I thought, "Oooooh, Lord, I knew you were up to something."

God has, indeed, shown up many, many times during the last nine months. I have grown more spiritually in the past year that I had in entire five-year spans in years past. He has taught me so much about trusting Him, abiding in Him, how to pray, how to rest and so very much about PEACE. Everything I've been through has been more than worth it.

A few weeks ago, the Holy Spirit also gave me this verse and said, "That's your verse for this pregnancy." I fully expect there to be dancing on the day Ethan is born!

Jeremiah 31:13 "For I will turn their mourning to joy, Will comfort them, And make them rejoice rather than sorrow."

To me, the way the miscarriage and this pregnancy all played out have REDEMPTION written all over it. God is all about redemption. I am so very grateful to be redeemed and that my God loves me enough to extend redemption to me, sometimes even in creative and unexpected ways!

BUT...the story isn't over yet. Here we are on Mother's Day 2009. A Mother's Day when I am four days past-due with a baby boy and VERY anxious to meet him. What will his story be? How will this story end? Of course, when this story ends, a new one begins. Will he be born on Mother's Day? On the 11th? On the 13th?? Maybe on a different day? No matter what, I now can rest in the knowledge that God has it all figured out and all I have to do is wait for Him to write the story.

And as of 4:30p.m., the story continues...

No comments: